Opportunity for a UK based artist to have a 6-8 week residency in Chongqing, China in October/November 2018.
Exchange Residency Programme will take place for one artist selected from our open call in a dedicated Studio atTank Loft located in Campus of Sichuan Fine Art Institute, Chongqing. Organised by QUAD, Derby, Tank Loft, Sichuan Fine Art Institute and 501 Xu exhibition space to offer an opportunity for an artist based in the UK to have a residency in Chongqing China as part of an ongoing exchange. This open-call is for a UK based artist to stay in Chongqing, China in October/ November 2018 for a 6-8 week artist residency, where they will have time to develop work in a new environment. We are looking for an artist based anywhere in the UK, working in any medium with experience of running workshops.
Chongqing is the largest municipality in southwest China. The city of Chongqing, where the artist will be situated, is known for being the energetic centre of Chongqing. Throughout the residency, the artist will have a studio at Tank Loft and be supported by Mr YanYan a leading artist and educator based in Chongqing and his team together with Chongqing 501 Xu Artspace.
501 Xu Artspace is a non-profit art organisation that was established in 2006 by artists, curators and teachers from the Sichuan Fine Art Institute. The building, a former warehouse, is located on the colourful street in the Huang Jue Ping area, Chongqing, and comprises of over 100 artist-studios, an exhibition space and workshop areas.
The Residency includes:
- Return flights from UK to China
- Accommodation in Chongqing, China
- Stipend towards visa and travel insurance
- Materials as relevant
- Meals (50yuan per day)
- Local travel, including a visit to Nanchong
- Opportunity to deliver a workshop to Sichuan Fine Art Institute students (1000yuan)
- An exhibition/sharing at the end of the residency
To apply, please provide the following:
- Artist CV (up to two sides of A4)
- Artist Statement (up to one side of A4)
- Statement explaining how you think this residency will develop your practice, including details of any previous workshop experience (up to 500 words)
- Up to five examples of recent work/series, with title, medium, dimensions, and relevant links in a singular PDF document.
- Specify the dates that you would like to do the residency for within 8 October – 20 November
Please click here to download the opportunity details as a PDF.
Please email your application firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE 5pm GMT, Monday 5th September 2018
The selection panel:
Professor YanYan (Director of 501 Xu Artspace, Lecturer Sichuan Fine Arts Institute)
Louise Fedotov-Clements (Artistic Director QUAD/Director FORMAT International Photography Festival)
Laura O’Leary (Programme Assistant QUAD)