QUAD is proud to be a part of the Family Arts Standards.
Organisations that sign up to the Family Arts Standards value families and want to provide good family experiences. The Family Arts Standards are designed to help families know what they should expect from an arts organisation that displays the logo.
We ask that across their work, organisations try to appeal to a wide range of family audiences. Not every show or activity will be suitable for families, but organisations that sign up to the Family Arts Standards should provide clear information to enable you decide what is/isn’t suitable for families.
As part of our commitment to the Family Arts standard we will:
1. Offer programming and activities for a range of ages.
2. Take practical steps to make performances /activities accessible to as wide an age range as possible: so appropriate events can be enjoyed and appreciated by all members of the family group taking part.
3. Provide clear guidance on age appropriateness and sensitive content so families can decide if a performance / activity is suitable for them.
4. Take into account transport issues when planning dates of activities, start and finish times, length of performance/activity, length of intervals or breaks.
5. Have clear pricing and take into account the diversity of families when considering pricing and ‘family offers’.
6. Ask families about their experiences and views. Highlight changes that have been made and any barriers to achieving other suggestions.
7. Have a clear public policy for addressing complaints.
8. Reach out to and welcome all families to enjoy the arts and try new experiences.
9. Understand the needs of families of different ages and from different communities and remain flexible and responsive to them.
10. Ensure staff are trained to be aware of the potential barriers that may exist for families that include disabled adults and children, including those with additional or complex needs and/ or behaviour.
11. Have helpful staff who can respond to families’ questions and needs.
12. Provide clear and honest information in print and on the internet about the facilities that are available, whilst ensuring they provide:
• Clean and safe facilities.
• Suitable access for wheelchair users and buggies.
• Advice if spaces for wheelchair users and buggies are limited and/or advance booking is required.
• Appropriate seating for children and those with limited mobility.
• Accessible toilet and baby changing facilities that both men and women can access.
• Free drinking water.
• Healthy food and drink options suitable for families (if refreshments are available or providing clear advice on the bringing in of food & refreshments).
• Comfortable seating for feeding babies, including breastfeeding. Bottle warming provision.
• Clear signage and easily identifiable staff/personnel.
• Clear travel information.
For the latest news on family arts events in Derby follow @fantasticforfamiliesderby or see www.fantasticforfamilies.com/local-networks/derby