This informal, fun, six-week course offers the opportunity to develop your ideas using writing tips and practical activities to get your imagination flowing. Lesley explores topics such as how to write for your target age range, character development, imaginative planning, editing, children’s publishing today and how to build a community of writers.
Suitable for writers of all levels of experience. This course does not cover picture books.
· The children’s book world, what it is and how your writing fits in (pitching for age ranges, word counts, themes, content, trends, genres)
· Premise, first lines, hooks, structure
· Character development, POV, voice, dialogue
· Imaginative planning, plotting, worldbuilding
· Query package, improving your chances, synopsis, editing, beta readers
· Building confidence, writing tips, finding a community of writers
Lesley Parr is a writer, teacher and graduate of the acclaimed MA in Writing for Young People at Bath Spa University.
Writing Fiction for Children and Young Adults
With Lesley Parr
6 weeks from Tuesday March 10th to Tuesday April 14th
Tickets £85/£75 conc./£65 members