Open Call: QUAD International Digital Fellowships
Each year QUAD appoints an International Digital Fellow or Fellows to work with our Curatorial Team to develop a project for an exhibition, along with accompanying talks, advocacy and the mentoring of local and regional artists. Previous fellows include: teamLab; Kimchi and Chips; Rebecca Allen, Megan Broadmeadow and current fellow Danielle Brathwaite-Shirley.
QUAD is seeking to appoint two outstanding Digital Fellows for 2021-2022, starting in November 2021 and concluding in October 2022, each receiving a fee of £2000 to separately, or in tandem, research and develop new digital and creative new media work focused on the theme of ‘Play’, culminating in an exhibition in the summer of 2022 at QUAD – with further funds available for exhibition fees, production/ installation and travel costs; plus marketing and additional technical support.
QUAD has developed a reputation for supporting and developing artists from a range of backgrounds to produce ground-breaking digital and creative new media work – such as the VR work ‘Life Without Matter’ by digital art pioneer Rebecca Allen, and holographic/ interactive web/based works by Danielle Brathwaite-Shirley for her immersive exhibition ‘Haunting Alongside Our Shadows’.
The Brief and Theme: ‘Play’
Play is an integral part of our lives, from when we were children, testing and enjoying the world about us, to a sense of play and exploration that continues into adulthood. Taking the notion of ‘Play’ in its broadest sense, but considering notions of playfulness, curiosity, imagination and – most importantly for QUAD and our continuing work – ‘wellbeing’ and participation, we are seeking artists (from anywhere in the UK or around the world) to propose ideas for interactive, tactile and engaging works that can be either for a specific age group or intergenerational. Proposed works and ideas can be either digital or installation focused, or a mixture of the two. We seek proposals that will engage the gallery visitor both aesthetically and intellectually, but will ultimately engender a sense of play, fun, learning and engagement.
Each QUAD International Digital Fellow Will Receive:
– R&D Fee of £2000 (inc. VAT)
– Mentoring and support from QUAD Curatorial and Education/ Participation Teams, and QUAD digital technical officer.
– Exhibition in QUAD Gallery in Summer 2022 (that will include a further exhibition fee, production, installation and travel/ accommodation costs; plus marketing and additional technical support).
To apply, please send ONE PDF that includes the following:
– Project Proposal (max: 600 words)
– Artist Statement (max: 400 words)
– Artist CV (up to two sides of A4) inc links.
– Up to 12 examples of recent work/series/exhibitions, with title, medium and relevant links.
For any enquiries or to discuss this opportunity and to submit your application please email QUAD Senior Curator Peter Bonnell at: email@example.com
– Deadline for submissions: Sunday 21 November 2021, 11:59pm (GMT)
– Shortlisted artists will be invited to an interview via Zoom (or in person) on either Thursday 25 or Friday 26 November 2021.
– Two Fellows appointed: week commencing 29 November 2021.
– Exhibition Opening: July 2022 (date TBC)
– Fellowships end: October 2022 (date TBC)
– Louise Fedotov-Clements (FORMAT Director/ QUAD Artistic Director)
– Peter Bonnell (QUAD Senior Curator)
– Jodi Kwok (QUAD Assistant Curator)
– Abbie Canning (QUAD Children and Young Peoples Curator (Digital))
– Helen Starr (Founder, The Mechatronic Library and QUAD Board Member)
QUAD is committed to building more equitable, diverse and inclusive practices and processes that drive innovation and belonging across the organisation. With this aim, we are passionate about attracting excellent applicants from a variety of backgrounds and self-identities. This includes those who have a lived experience of being ‘othered’ and/or have characteristics as defined in the Equality Act 2010.
For information on QUAD’s Privacy and GDP Policy please visit: https://www.derbyquad.co.uk/privacy-policy
QUAD is a registered charity.